Springtime is finally here! After a pretty harsh winter, most of us are delighted by this season change. However, with spring comes spring cleaning. But spring cleaning is not limited to dusting shelves and reorganizing the garage. Take a look at these spring cleaning plumbing tips to start spring on the right foot!
Spring Cleaning Plumbing Tips-Appliances
- Check the temperature on the water heater to make sure it is set no hight than 120°F.
- Drain several gallon from the water heater to flush out sediment that causes corrosion.
- Make sure there are no flammables stored near the water heater or furnace.
- Check dishwasher, ice maker and washing machine supply hoses for bulges or leaks and replace if necessary. Replace hoses where necessary with stainless steel hoses (they are less prone to bursting.)
Spring Cleaning Plumbing Tips-Kitchen/Bathrooms
- Check faucets for drips or leaks (you could be wasting a significant amount of money every month on these leaks!) and make repairs where necessary.
- Keep clogs out of drain lines by installing strainers.
- Check toilets for hidden leaks (add six drops of food coloring to the toilet tank. If the toilet is leaking, color will appear in the bowl within 30 minutes) and inspect bowl for cracks.
- Clean mineral deposits from shower head. Soak and shower head in vinegar overnight and scrub remaining debris with an old toothbrush the next day.
- Exercise water supply valves under sinks and toilets to prevent them from sticking.
Spring Cleaning Plumbing Tips-Outside
- Check for bird nest in plumbing vent pipes.
- Clean out yard drains and gutters.
- Check hose bibs to make sure water flows freely.
Wishing you a very happy spring from D&D Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning! Next time you need plumbing, heater, or air conditioning service, give us a call! We would love to show the difference in quality workmanship, superior value, and highly personalized engineered solutions to completely satisfy your expectations.